AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Hi all, in the middle of a long trip to Road America and have a question about the 56 XK140's rear main seal.
Is it a rope seal? Are there good ways to update it to a modern seal? This one is a leaker!
The car has a BW T 5 trans, do I need to remove the trans or engine to replace the rear main seal? Is the trans removable from below?

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
formercat1 Avatar
formercat1 Mack Besser
Maple Park, IL, USA   USA
XK140 has only reverse scroll upper & lower housing w/NO rear rope seal.
The real trick is to have crankshaft machined & use the upgraded rear seal
available from: Engel's, Terry's, etc.
Possibly, you could retro-fit a 3.8 (MK II, 3.8 S, E-type, etc.) upper & lower bracket
that utilizes a rope seal. Kind of tricky to get top bolt out of your unit; but doable
without dismantle of engine. I have done that years ago. Whatever you do, if you
use the rope seal conversion, do NOT trim the seal. Got black flagged at Road
America for leaking oil, because of this. Too bad, I was doing quite well in my class!
Yes, transmission comes out from inside the car. However, not sure about the 5
speed, should come out the same providing length is similar. Mack

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
Mark x2

I believe Bill Terry still does engine work. (618) 513-0385

I hardly ever am able to get him by phone but Jean at Engel can possibly help. 800 900 2826 and tell her my recommendation.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
Texting results in an an email reply (563 940 1864)
Business phone 563 323 1017
http://kirks-auto.com

Moss distributor UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DBlevins Avatar
DBlevins Dennis Blevins
Quarryville, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Terry Lippencott likely can do this for you. Removed the rope seal in my 4.2 Series II e-type and replaced it with "modern" design. Also does work on all other "older" Jags. Biggest problems for you with him is distance and time (always backlogged).

Lippincott's Garage
815 Mountain Home Road
Sinking Spring, PA 19608

610-678-6775

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   USA
I don't think this is especially a Jag issue as a lot of 1950s engines use rope seals. I believe it requires machining to install a common Chevy conventional seal. Al Moss "invented" a kit to fix the issue on MG TDs but the grape vine tells me it has never worked correctly and effectively for any period of time. However I know the far better XK engine can support this conversion with proper machining. A better shop should have an idea or two on how to get it done. It's also possible there maybe a kit at this point. Should I ever pull the E Type motor I fully intend to get this done as my clutch is ruined by the spillage and spoilage of the leaking factory style solution.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
Texting results in an an email reply (563 940 1864)
Business phone 563 323 1017
http://kirks-auto.com

Moss distributor UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1991 Jaguar XJ12 Series 3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links