JagExp

Classic XK Forum

Might as well just throw this out to the crowd: Anyone lump an XK140?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Turns out the XK140 we are getting HAD a modified Ford 302 in it, with auto/OD trans.

No engine or trans in the car presently, so considering which route to take:
1) Seek another non-numbers-matching XK140 Jag engine;
2) Seek a later year (?1990s?) 4.2L XJ6 fuel injected engine and auto trans (or 700R GM OD trans);
3) Put in a later (Lincoln-y) 6 or 8 cyl engine/trans;
4) Other ideas, recommendations?

Our basic intentions with this car are to get it running as fast as possible.
No concours restoration for us, HOWEVER, we'd like to keep as much original as possible, in case future owners down the road might want to revert back.

1968 Jag 420G
1976 MG Midget, BugEye nose conversion
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo conversion
1956 Jag XK140

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
razimm Rudy Zimmermann
Orange, CT, USA   USA
My XK140DHC had been modified with an automatic transmission when I bought it 2 years ago. I first seriously considered replacing the transmission with a more modern 5 speed but finally decided to put is a period correct transmission as I was advised that, although not numbers matching, the car would be more valuable with this transmission and I personally like to have it as close to original as possible. I found a Moss gearbox with overdrive from an XK150 and it is now installed. I like driving it this way.
Rudy

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
In reply to # 14112 by razimm My XK140DHC had been modified with an automatic transmission when I bought it 2 years ago. I first seriously considered replacing the transmission with a more modern 5 speed but finally decided to put is a period correct transmission as I was advised that, although not numbers matching, the car would be more valuable with this transmission and I personally like to have it as close to original as possible. I found a Moss gearbox with overdrive from an XK150 and it is now installed. I like driving it this way.
Rudy

Rudy,
Good input. Exactly the contortions we are going through now with this car: should we do the easiest thing to put a modern engine in, or should be restore, even if the numbers do not match.
The people we bought the car from also have for sale an engine for sale, but from an XK150; it also comes with an overdrive transmission (our XK140 originally had the OD), They want $2500 for this combo -- BUT it needs complete rebuild.
While I have only seen one picture of this engine/trans, I can see at least 2 head bolts are broken off; they claim that the engine rotates freely by hand.

While I recognize that any lump with a "modern" engine is ALWAYS going to be out-of-date, and that the car will NEVER be worth the same as a near-original car, there are come major factors that are clouding my decision:
1) This car must be a near-daily driver -- well, at least a frequent driver, and NOT ONLY on Sundays or in nice weather;
2) I MUST have AC, and it is oh-so-much simpler to get a complete engine/trans combo with all the modern reliable accessories all attached;
3) That overall reliability factor of engine/trans and components is probably the heaviest Ace on the table.

Will be interesting to see which side of the coin turns up in regards to our final decision....

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-28 10:32 AM by baloo.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
razimm Rudy Zimmermann
Orange, CT, USA   USA
With your lost of requirements I too would think of more modern drive train. My car was also modified with A/C (currently not running), power brakes and power steering. I have left these in the car. The 3.4 Jaguar engine is a very strong and reliable engine but it does tend to run hot. On a summer day of high 80's or low 90's ambient the,perature my car will run above 90 C in traffic. I do have a fan on the radiator too. Although it has not over heated yet I think it could. The engine/transmission package you can buy from the seller will still require a significant investment in rebuild. Additionally today you can get electric power steering, which I would recommend over hydraulic, and also disc brakes that fit these cars. So far my drum brakes have worked fine especially after I had the drums turned. Except for the transmission and the other alterations, mine is a number matching car so for me it made sense to keep it as close to original as possible. I do not use it as a daily driver. Probably put on, max, 1500 - 2000 miles a year and do not drive it in the winter.
Rudy

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
In reply to # 14125 by razimm With your lost of requirements I too would think of more modern drive train. My car was also modified with A/C (currently not running), power brakes and power steering. I have left these in the car. The 3.4 Jaguar engine is a very strong and reliable engine but it does tend to run hot. On a summer day of high 80's or low 90's ambient the,perature my car will run above 90 C in traffic. I do have a fan on the radiator too. Although it has not over heated yet I think it could. The engine/transmission package you can buy from the seller will still require a significant investment in rebuild. Additionally today you can get electric power steering, which I would recommend over hydraulic, and also disc brakes that fit these cars. So far my drum brakes have worked fine especially after I had the drums turned. Except for the transmission and the other alterations, mine is a number matching car so for me it made sense to keep it as close to original as possible. I do not use it as a daily driver. Probably put on, max, 1500 - 2000 miles a year and do not drive it in the winter.
Rudy

R,
Good thoughts:
1) Modern drive train -- yah, really leaning that way since the car JUST HAD a Ford 331 V8 with AT in it (enlarged 302ci Ford), meaning that any modifications to the car to fit the modern engine had already been made. Might cost more to bring it back to specs if trying to refit an original engine?
2) Good info about the 3.4 - figuring to get a higher capacity radiator with electric fan, as the roller right now does not have rad in it;
3) Rebuilding costs, vs storage costs (if we get the extra non-matching XK150 engine/trans, and then just have to store it for a few years);
4) We were thinking about a more modern Jag V8 engine, especially since these essentially are Ford engines -- so maybe the fitment should be easy?

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster