JagExp

Classic XK Forum

Core (freeze) plugs in XK 3.4 engine

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

razimm Rudy Zimmermann
Orange, CT, USA   USA
What is the best way to install the core (freeze) plugs in a 3.4 ltr XK engine. A couple of years ago I removed the rubber expansion plugs that were in the block when I bought the car and replaced them with the proper metal discs. I just placed them in the hole and hit the center with a ball peen hammer. This seemed to be good until one let go this past fall while on a road trip. I was able to use JB Weld to put that one back in place so I could continue the trip and get home. Now I plan to pull the engine and replace them all again but would like to know the proper or beat way to install them so I don't have to do this again. Any help is appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
This happened to me on the way to a car show, not fun. My good fortune was that it was the center on under the carbs. I was upset because a machine shop had installed them when I had the block cleaned and honed. I had always done them myself prior to that. What you need to do is to install them with a little sealer on the outside edge to create a good bond and seal when you peen them in place. This way you should not have any further difficulty. Remember, there is little pressure on them with the exception of heat expansion.

Pat Ruster

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2005 Jaguar XJ X350

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links