JagExp

The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

Engine very stiff after rebuild

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

M. Personne John T
Champagne, Dordogne, France   FRA
Hi David. Sorry for the delay but we have had visitors from the UK.

No, it was me; I removed the gear-stick many years ago at the start of the renovation and it must have been in reverse at the time, which is why I couldn't get the gear-stick to fit in the neutral position (that's probably gobbledygook but I know what I mean!).

I may have already said that she is now turning over on the key, with the plugs out, but not very quickly. I will now fit the plugs and see what happens, and will report back.

Regards,

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Puddinhead Avatar
Puddinhead Patrick Forestell
Ocala, Florida, USA   USA
Hi John,

I'm in Florida, also with a tight engine (rebuilt engine). With plugs in, it can't crank enough to start as
compression stroke keep the engine too tight to start, but with plugs out, starter cranks engine freely.

Patrick
'66 FHC

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, Newfoundland, Canada   CAN
Hi Patrick and John,
Anything new?
Is that a Maltese, Patrick?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nlneilson Avatar
nlneilson Neil Neilson
Mojave, CA, USA   USA
1962 Jaguar E-Type Convertible "Chevy SB"
1974 MG MGB "MG"
1979 Porsche 928
1979 Unknown Unknown    & more
loosen half of the spark plugs. When it starts tighten the plugs and put the wires back on. On big diesel engines some have a compression release to get it cranked over, ie my Cat D7.Dozer
Did you check the piston ring gaps ?

Puddinhead Avatar
In reply to # 14245 by DAWTRIJAG Hi Patrick and John,
Anything new?
Is that a Maltese, Patrick?

She's a Chiness Crested (Powder Puff).

Getting close to installing rebuilt SU set up; had to order new jet bearings
from UK SU plant as no one in USA had new jet bearings ! At first the task of
adjusting out the sticky jet in it's bearing free play was challenging, after three
attempts, I finally figured it out.

Take care,
Patrick
'66 FHC

Puddinhead Avatar
In reply to # 14280 by nlneilson loosen half of the spark plugs. When it starts tighten the plugs and put the wires back on. On big diesel engines some have a compression release to get it cranked over, ie my Cat D7.Dozer
Did you check the piston ring gaps ?

The shop (PA Ober's) installed new rings.

Shop used nearby PA expert (Terry Lippincott, E-Type racing) suggestings
regarding ring gap as I was insisting of the ring suppliers' gap recommendations.
Ober's has lots of Jag block restoration experience as Terry L. takes all his E-Type
customer blocks to Obers for machine work. My '66 4.2 FHC block required new top
hat type sleeves, even though the original block lacked any cracks between bores.
My new pistons are not over size. As well pistons are 8:1 as my previous 3.8 E-types
constantly pinged. I'm more a fan of low end torque. This is my first 4.2 E-Type.

Head (coolant passages damaged) was rewelded at Coventry West in GA (Dick Maury).
Original head kept blowing gaskets (metal original factory type). Now using a composite gasket.

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC (Florida)

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
HI Patrick,
I sold our E-Type last year after over thirty years of ownership. Just after I made the deal I discovered that two diaphragms were sticking in the choke position and caused the engine to run very poorly. When I investigated I found that the brass jets had cracked and expanded in the cylinders. It was too late to order new ones so I sanded the shafts enough to make them free up. The engine ran fine after that but the new owner would have to buy the parts. The faulty jets were after market pieces that I had put in when I bought the car. They still looked new.
David

M. Personne John T
Champagne, Dordogne, France   FRA
Actually that's not a bad idea to loosen half of the spark plugs; I prefer that to tow-starting.

I'm still not able to spend as much time on the car as I'd like but hope to get back onto it soon. What would be best - loosen plugs 1,3 and 5 or 2,4 and 6, or doesn't it make any difference?

John

erlewis Avatar
erlewis Eric Lewis
Madison, USA   USA
Given that there are a lot of fine threads on the plugs you probably can get away with loosening the plugs several turns. However, you don't really want to risk stripping the threads in the aluminum cylinder head, do you? I remember one time I forgot to tighten the plugs and stupidly started the engine, blew one plug right out. Not a good thing and thankfully I was not staring at it when it blew.

Puddinhead Avatar
Soon su carbs go on, I loosened all 6 plugs, wish me luck.

Patrick
'66 fhc

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Yes, good luck!
From David

Puddinhead Avatar
In reply to # 14319 by DAWTRIJAG Yes, good luck!
From David

Well, got SU system onboard with some fuel in each SU bowl (no fuel pump or tank),
and new plug wires, with new points and rotor.
But No visible Spark ! Ordered new coil and ground wire+lug (just in case).
Dist will open/close (points) and that fires the test lamp. So hopefully it's just
a dead original '66 Lucas coil ?

However, '66FHC still unwilling (spark plugs installed) to physically turn over,
she tries and tries but unless most plugs are out, she is way too tight. By hand no problem,
and I feel no resistance from say: a bent valves. After I try some new ignition components (coil and ground wire/post),
and even pair of starting batteries combined (not in series of course), I'll haul her to
Ga to Dick M.

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

Puddinhead Avatar
Update, today checked each compression stroke with dist wires and sure enough, block is correctly situated relative to the cams. I wanted to make sure there was not a 180degrees out that would bend valves.

Awaiting new coil as I have no soark,

Patrick
'66 fhc

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster