The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

Engine very stiff after rebuild

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Puddinhead Avatar
Puddinhead Patrick Forestell
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
My situation has improved ; sort of. Cranking speed has dramatically improved (with plugs in) due to no longer using jumper cables between external battery and starter. Now battery is hooked directly to car terminals. The jump cables offered too much resistance.

However, the intake suction was weak and so far I can't get it to fire. Sent D22 off for a rebuild.

Compression with SU system off car is 150, with SU system on car and butterflies closed I get 60.

Oil pressure is anemic at 5 during cranking.

Patrick
'66 fhc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Puddinhead Avatar
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 14410 by erlewis Unless your bores are fully resurfaced and new rings, there is no good reason for friction like you describe. Easy driving can break in stiff rings but a tight rear seal won't wear, it will get hot.

My liners are new standard size with new 8:1 pistons and new rings.

Patrick
'66 fhc

Puddinhead Avatar
Ocala, FL, USA   USA
Solved ! Problem turned out to be the D22 distributor, once D22 was rebuilt it start fine.

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Jaguar E Type Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links