JagExp

The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

Ammeter needle oscillation

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AlanWiedie Gold Member Alan Wiedie
Bolton, CT, USA   USA
What can cause the ammeter needle to oscillate rapidly from - to + while idling or driving? Sometimes it only does it either side of the midpoint, and other time it swings side to side the whole way. Drives me nuts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
alo66fhc Allen Oshana
Guilford, CT, USA   USA
Hi Alan, I have had that issue on both E types, sometimes it comes and goes away. It usually is a bad connection in the charging circuit from the alternator to the gauge, or battery terminal. Cleaning all connections and applying dielectric grease to the contacts will help.
Best Regards,
Allen
See you soon!

jcct134 Maxwell Heazlewood
Burnie, Tasmania, Australia   AUS
1998 Jaguar XJ8 "Jeremy J."
With a fluctuating needle like that you want to check all of the above plus check the charging of your generator or alternator
and the voltage regulator.
Make sure you have good clean earth's and sound connections throughout the electrical/charging path.

Max Heazlewood
1998 X308 XJ8 Sovereign 4.0 ltr
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Oatmeal/Antelope int.
215,000Klm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rlowe reg lowe
norwich, norfolk, UK   GBR
1973 Jaguar SS-100 "The Beast"
If I remember my E Type, there is a "regulator" device behind the instrument panel which caused all sorts of strange things to happen to all of the instruments. Upon fitting a new one, all was well. Sorry, I can't recall its correct description.

Reg J Lowe
U.K. "C" Type

jcct134 Maxwell Heazlewood
Burnie, Tasmania, Australia   AUS
1998 Jaguar XJ8 "Jeremy J."
In reply to # 13996 by rlowe If I remember my E Type, there is a "regulator" device behind the instrument panel which caused all sorts of strange things to happen to all of the instruments. Upon fitting a new one, all was well. Sorry, I can't recall its correct description.

Reg J Lowe
U.K. "C" Type

Hello Reg,
If I remember correctly, it's a voltage control unit about half the size of a cigarette packet and maintains a steady 10.5 volts to all the gauges which flattens out any voltage surges....the original ones were not electronic
but an electro-mechanical design and only cure was replacement.

Max Heazlewood
1998 X308 XJ8 Sovereign 4.0 ltr
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Oatmeal/Antelope int.
215,000Klm

AlanWiedie Gold Member Alan Wiedie
Bolton, CT, USA   USA
The voltage regulator is mounted in the engine compartment on the left side just behind the battery where the dash harness comes through. Is there any way to test the regulator?

rlowe reg lowe
norwich, norfolk, UK   GBR
1973 Jaguar SS-100 "The Beast"
Hello Max,
I think you completely correct, changing it certainly cured the problems however, I have now sold the E Type ( and the SS100 ) and have just taken delivery of a "C" Type which is absolutely brilliant.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster