The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

S1 FHC E-Type Windscreen fitting.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

aidanc Avatar
aidanc aidan crabtree
auckland, Titirangi, New Zealand   NZL
Windscreen fitting S1 FHC any body fitted windscreen from the inside not the outside any luck?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
LHardin Lou Hardin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
Adrian,

I have installed a couple of windshields in a couple different makes and models but never from the inside-out. I can think of reasons like no place to set the weight of the glass, confined space, etc.

The real reason for my installing the windshield from the outside is two part 1) it's the way I was trained to install and 2) I have always used plenty of lubricant on a rope that fit into the groove of the gasket and helped pull the gasket with the glass into the cars frame. I used this on my 68 E-Type Windshield and it worked great.

Lou

aidanc Avatar
aidanc aidan crabtree
auckland, Titirangi, New Zealand   NZL
What sort of thickness to the rope you used?

LHardin Lou Hardin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
The rope thickness should be slightly smaller in diameter than the gap in the gasket along the outside flange groove. It has been a while but I think the green Jaguar shop manual for E-Types may have installation instructions in addition to a posting on the JCNA.com website from a member who installed a windshield in his E-Type (if I recall correctly he had trouble getting his windshield to fit because his supplier sent the wrong gasket for his car).

Also, don't forget that some of the E-Type windshield gaskets have a rubber cord that locks the gasket in place, you maw want to check to see if yours requires one (fits in the gap between the windshield glass groove and the body flange groove.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Lou

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links