Haunted clutch

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Haunted clutch
  This topic is about my 1974 Jaguar E-Type Convertible
midpac Stephen Martin
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Hi forum ... Currently have a 1974 roadster and after having 9 other xke's I have a new problem that I've never run into before. Was cruising aroung town and lost clutch pressure so stopped and checked fluids again (always a pre-requisite before hitting the road) and no fluid. Curious but no big deal. Re-filled, bled ... still no clutch. Wonderful. Got home, pulled slave and bushings were shot so just replaced the slave with new one. Refilled reservoir and bled three times. Good pressure, driving well. Return home, check fluids ... all good. Next day, no clutch! Check fluids, reservoir emtpy ..
big puddle under reservoir. No leaks, no residual drips, no nothing. Repeated fill and bleed, next day same results ... empty reservoir ... big puddle. This is so easy, fill ... bleed. Am I missing something ? Everythings tight, good pressure .. no residual drips, no leaks ... But, one thing is that while driving, I have good pressure but if I very lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal, it will slowly depress to the floor. Still got air ? Making me nuts. Any idas? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-02 01:20 PM by midpac.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
Master cylinder seals

midpac Stephen Martin
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Appreciate the response ... will take care of that. Curious tho, when I get home and re-check the reservoir, it's still full. Can find no leaks or drips, residue ... nada. But in the morning it's empty again and on the garage floor. This old brain needs to understand whats happening ... is the master retaining pressure and rear seal eventually failing ?

In any case, thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
Is the master cylinder wet where the push rod goes into it?

Likely a very small seep past the seal that drains the reservoir and cylinder over time

midpac Stephen Martin
Yuma, Arizona, USA   USA
Actually, yesterday, while taking a picture of the master cylinder, I was finally able to find that you were correct. There is a small wet area under the mounting flange. So, time for a rebuild with new seals. I should have found it before but so little room to see. Thank you much for the input. Soon, back on the road !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 08:04 AM by midpac.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2015 Jaguar F Type Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links