The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

Timing pointer bolts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Flyseawing Avatar
Flyseawing Silver Member Dave F
Miami, Florida, USA   USA
I have a '69 FHC without a timing pointer on the oil pan. I bought a pointer, but I cant figure out the thread size for the bolts that hold it to the oil pan. If anyone has easy access to these bolts, I'd be so grateful if you could identify the bolt size for me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
XKE pan.jpg    13 KB
XKE pan.jpg

XKE pointer.jpg    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, Newfoundland, Canada   CAN
Hi Dave,
I don't have my '64 E Type any longer so I can't check the bolts but I would think that you would get a clue from the size of the holes in the bracket. I would think that 1/4x20 would be the bolt thread. Most of the bolts on British cars are fine thread but probably coarse into an aluminum base pan. Dave, you really need to get a thread and bolt sizer.
David

Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The E"
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
A 69 car has its timer point understanding the alternator instead of the oil pan. You need a different timer point.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Flyseawing Avatar
Another pointer? Here's a picture of the timing marks and pointer from the Robert Bentley manual. No other pointer is shown, nor described in the text. Please corroborate your statement with a photo, or a link to a a seller of this pointer with a part number.

My '69 has the timing marks as shown and the appropriate holes in the oil pan.

Attachments:
pointer.jpg    43.2 KB
pointer.jpg

Andrys Posthuma Avatar
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
Hi Dave, sorry I was a bit brief earlier today, that was sent from my cellphone.

See attached (bad) pic. Yours is a '69, like mine, hence a series 2, which has a different timing mark. Mine also has the two holes in the pan, anyway.

Here's an example of the one you require: http://xks.com/i-7081035-jaguar-timing-pointer-later-ser-ii-e-ser-i-ii-iii-xj-6-co-29369.html

Regards, Andrys

Attachments:
DSC_0887.JPG    23.8 KB
DSC_0887.JPG

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
HI Dave,
This is rather bizarre. I guess timing marks can be put wherever the manufacture wants them. I always found that having the marks on our E Type where they are very inconvenient. The pointer on our MK 2 is actually welded to the pan and impossible to see from up above. I looked up the part on SNG Barratt web site. The site gives the engine number that the part will cover. Perhaps yours was superceded. Apparently 1969 was a transition year. They list the pointer that you have and the bolts that you need. It is easy to look up. They say the bolt is 1/4x1/2 which is not a correct way to describe a bolt but it sure looks like it would be a 1/4x20 that is 1/2 inch long. www.sngbarratt.com. This is such an easy problem. Gee Dave what are you going to do when something really complicated comes up? Believe me, something complicated will come up.
David

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
HI Dave.
It appears that Andrys is correct. I just went out to the garage and checked the XJ 6. Sure enough the timing mark is on the left side of the engine on the cam chains cover near the alternator. The timing pointer is quite a bit bigger than what was on my EType and the bolts are part of the chain case cover mounting. Timing the points on this engine is considerably easier than the case on the MK 2 or the 64 EType.
Welcome to the vagaries of British car ownership. I had completely forgotten about the XJ being different.
I have an early XJ engine sitting on the floor in the garage I must check that one.
David

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Hi,
The spare engine I have is from a 1970 XJ6. Its timing pointer is on the left side as Andrys's picture shows. Why would that be missing on your car? For sure a lot of pans would have had the bracket in place for the old pointers since 1969 seems to be the transition year.
David

Andrys Posthuma Avatar
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
I just had a read through Haddock and the plot thickens...

From VIN 7R37550: "About may 1969, the pointer for the timing marks was moved from the left hand side of the enigne back to the bottom (where it had been before), for cars with air conditioning or power steering."

So Dave... what's the VIN number of your car, and do you have PS or AC?

Flyseawing Avatar
Thank you David and Andrys! Your posts were so helpful.

Here's the deal... I'd like to fit a Pertronix ignition to my car to get rid of the points. I've done this to a few cars in the past, with no issues.

I wanted to check the timing, before installation, and confirm that it didn't change afterwards. My Bentley manual makes no mention of the lateral pointer, and the car has the proper holes on the oil pan, so I made the assumption that the pointer was gone.

Now that you guys clued me in, I contorted my body, with a flashlight, and found the lateral pointer. It was underneath the air conditioner compressor, where it should not have been. A/C.

Yes, it's an air conditioned car with the VIN 1R26076

It does not have power steering.

So, now I've got two more questions.

1) Did they make two different crankshaft pulleys with different timing mark locations?

2) Not being a good contortionist, will I be able to check the timing with a timing light without removing the bonnet?

Thanks,
Dave

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Hi Dave,
If you can sight the timing pointer you shouldn't have a problem. I did the timing on our EType many times. I painted a mark on the crank pulley to make the task easier. Perhaps you can do the same.
I am happy that the mystery has been solved and we all learned something. Even with all the books that I have and about forty years of being involved with Jaguars there is always something to learn.
David

69jaguar Brian Carlisle
Morehead, Ky, USA   USA
I know it's been a few days but here is a pic of my 69 2+2 engine I just pulled for overhaul.
Regards
Brian

Attachments:
IMG_5324.jpg    42.2 KB
IMG_5324.jpg

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Hi Brian,
Keep us updated on your progress. Thanks.
David

ejag66 Avatar
ejag66 Platinum Member Ward Hill
Ridgeley, West Virginia, USA   USA
HI,
Was reading this thread and since I had the bonnet tilted forward on my 60 2+2, I checked to see if the lateral pointer was installed. I have always used the crankcase pointer. This car has both AC and power steering. From the pic attached, you can understand why the pointer was moved back to the crankcase for cars equipped with AC and PS. There is no visibility of the crankshaft pulley or any directly connected (not belt driven) substitute from above the motor.

Attachments:
100_3765.JPG    44.7 KB
100_3765.JPG

ejag66 Avatar
ejag66 Platinum Member Ward Hill
Ridgeley, West Virginia, USA   USA
Sorry. 69 not 60 2+2.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster