Timing pointer bolts

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ejag66 Avatar
ejag66 Platinum Member Ward Hill
Ridgeley, West Virginia, USA   USA
Hi again,
I note that Dave's pic of his new pointer will not reach forward and up to marks placed on the face of the damper as shown in his manual pic. Brian's pic shows timing marks on the edge of the damper, and Dave's pointer seems designed for marks on that location. Reading marks on the edge of the damper using a pointer on the oil pan would be very difficult. My car has marks on the face of the damper and a pointer like shown in the manual picture. I have fabricated one of these pointers to get a better edge and fit to the damper, transferred marks from the edge to the face and painted a thin white strip on the "before" side of the desired mark to improve visibility, all to make the timing procedure possible with the car on the floor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
69jaguar Brian Carlisle
Morehead, Ky, USA   USA
Reference my earlier photo..........My 69 2+2 is a non a/c, non-power steering car. The engine photographed is the original 4.2L engine that was installed in 1969.

Brian

ejag66 Avatar
ejag66 Platinum Member Ward Hill
Ridgeley, West Virginia, USA   USA
One more time,
Confusion reigns after 80! Remarks re timing marks on the front face were applicable to my 66 OTS that I transferred marks from the edge to the face of the damper. The marks on my 69 2+2 are on the edge (see pics attached) with white paint worked into the depressions. I installed an electronic ignition to eliminate points in the mid nineties, and have not had to touch the timing since. All good, since static timing , as specified in the manual, is not possible (no points) and reading a timing light from under the car is a real pain.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_3770.JPG    24.6 KB
100_3770.JPG

100_3768.JPG    37.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
grimes6 Greg Grimes
Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia   AUS
The timing pointer (C23228) on sump was fitted up to the following engine numbers :
7r1345 swb
7r35088 2+2
and then fitted from engine no's
7r5339 swb onwards
7r37550 2+2 onwards
The damper part number c27295

The timing pointer (C29369)
Fitted from engine numbers
7r1346 to 7r5338 swb
7r35089 to 7r37549 2+2

The damper number c29370

Regards,
Greg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1987 Jaguar XJ SC

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links