JagExp

The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

1970 E-Type will not Start...

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

fidel49 Drew Laurianti
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
Hi everyone. I'm new to this group and in desperate need of help. I'll try to make this short and sweet.

In 1979 I bought I 1970 E-Type (SN: 1R27941 - Regency Red - FHC).

When I dropped a crank-shaft bearing I did a COMPLETE rebuild of the car (i.e.: engine, vacuum system, brakes, drive shaft, U-Joints, etc., etc., etc. As I said: COMPLETE.

Then like a dummy, I let it sit for 25+ years without even starting it. When I finally tried to start it a year ago, it started but only by advancing the dist. to the point where it was running at 4,500 RPM to 5,000 RPM. When it warmed and I tried to return the dist. to its normal position, it would die at about 2,500 RPM. I have been working on it for over a year now.

It will not even start now. The carbs have been rebuilt (not by me), the alternator has been replaced, once again etc., etc., etc.

Since I am headed to the 'happy hunting grounds' soon, ANY and ALL suggestions to get this running will be greatly appreciated!!! I do not want to leave this headache for my wife of 46 years.

Once again, thanks for any and all help!!

Drew Laurianti
fidel49
fidel49@aol.com
Ft. Wayne, IN

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The E"
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
Hi Drew,

Basics first - do you have fuel to the carbs? Get a jar, disconnect the fuel line at the filter and put the line in the jar. Have a helper turn on the ignition and watch the jar being filled at a nice rate.

Then static timing. You got a workshop manual? The procedure is here: http://www.myds420.info/servman/E1021-1/s1.N-09.l.html

If it doesn't start, we go to the carbs. What carbs do you have? Pictures?

Regards, Andrys

Puddinhead Avatar
Puddinhead Patrick Forestell
Ocala, Florida, USA   USA
Drew, did you rebuild the dist ?
R you sure cap plug wires are correctly ccw 152634 ?

Can you test coil output with 12v light using the static timing method.

Patrick
'66 fhc

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trgrhpy David M
Rancho Mirage, Ca., USA   USA
Patrick, I believe you mean 153624 for the firing order.

jhaydeljr J H
Los Angeles,Ca, USA   USA
Gasoline may be too old. Empty tank put in fresh gasoline.

formercat1 Avatar
formercat1 Mack Besser
Maple Park, IL, USA   USA
Drew,
Sounds like you have done all the basics, firing order, clean plugs, basic timing, gas to carbs, etc, etc.
Odd that it would run @ 4000 RPM on high choke, and then die out when you try to return to normal timing/off choke.
Those Strombergs can be fussy & obsequious. When they are right they are right. Just to get them right is frustrating.
I had a customer's 1970 E-type that would not idle well, regardless of what we did. That particular model has a vacuum
port directly off the intake manifold to go to front carb's choke system. That diaphram was bad (leaking internally), so we
plugged it at vacuum hose (connected to manifold) & Carl's car idles at 850 RPM to this day.I know it's a hike to DeKalb, IL.,
but check out our linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mackbesser Wouldn't it be nice for you to enjoy your E-type with your wife?
Trailered transportation available for a reasonable fee. Best Regards, Mack

Cglover Colin Glover
Rhos On Sea, Conwy c b c, UK   GBR
As the car will run with the choke, have you checked the carburetor jets and blown through the air ways with compressed air to ensure there are no blockages either from old fuel gumming things up or just a bit of grit stuck in an airway,Colin.

Puddinhead Avatar
Puddinhead Patrick Forestell
Ocala, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 14321 by Trgrhpy Patrick, I believe you mean 153624 for the firing order.

Thanks, I had the firing order wrong, maybe that's why my 66FHC wouldn't fire (?).
Ordered a new coil (non-ballast). No Spark.

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster