JagExp

The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

E-type front suspention and break caliber re-plating or not?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

71 E-Type ots nicolai grosell
clarvville, NY, USA   USA
Hi There.

I was wondering if any of you have ever replate the front suspension parts on your xke.

I have a 71 series two that Im replacing all the rubber and doing a compleat frontend rebuild
And I want to restore the plating on all the parts when i have it all apart anyway.

If i plate everything will the rubber bushings still fit or do i have to rim out the holes before fitting them?
and the break caliber will the pistens fit or do they need to be rimed out after?

Thank you

Nicolai

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
formercat1 Avatar
formercat1 Mack Besser
Maple Park, IL, USA   USA
Nicolai,

Have zinc plated front suspension pieces many times, bushings all fit. Brake calipers are a good idea to have plated. Prior to installation of the seal, a test fit of a NEW piston would reveal if the bore needs
a bit of honing or not. Remember, buy the NEW stainless steel pistons, as the these cannot have any defects. Call me if you request a referral to have this plating done. There is a company in Chicago that
I use, they will send you a quote, and the turnaround time is less than two weeks. BTW...what are you doing with your fuel tank?...Mack

LHardin Lou Hardin
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Nicolai,

I recently had my front suspension re-plated including the break hardware and it looks awesome!

My 68 E-Type is intended as a JCNA Concourse car so I went back to silver cadmium on the suspension and gold zinc on the break hardware (including the dust plates and brackets).

Cadmium Plating: The most important thing you need to know is that plating metal with cadmium makes metal brittle. So, if you don't want your torsion bars, wishbones, fulcrum shafts, Hubs, Spindles, mounting blocks, mounting hardware, nuts, bolts,etc to fail (probably while on the road), the parts must be heat treated and you want to get the certification. I only found four plating companies in the US that do it on a regular basis. I used a company near Denver, Colorado and received horrible results and worse service before finding Burbank Plating in Pacoima, California because they are very professional, have a fast turn around and are easy to work with. They had a $200 minimum for 50 pounds of metal plating (very common pricing for cadmium or zinc).

Zinc Plating: The good part is that you have several options of color. Most of the zinc plating companies also do bright/silver nickel for parts like carbs but most of them have a $200 minimum for each different finish.

Bushings: Your car is is about 46 years old. I recommend new bushings since you are doing the overhaul and you will be rewarded with improved handling (that you can select by using red for aggressive, black for moderate neoprene or the old style rubber bushings). Don't forget to use new castle nuts, nylon self locking nuts, especially new cotter pins and possibly ball joints. My thought is that if you are going to do it, do it correctly - you will be glad you did.

I love horse power but I never cut corners on breaks or suspension since safety lets me play another day.

By the way, I do not sell parts and I do not own or work in a auto garage and I am not a professional mechanic. Best wishes and only use my words if you know what you are doing since the above is only my thought at the moment and is intended to share the information I have experienced. I accept absolutely no responsibility for the information provided including specifications, procedures, prices, references, parts, services or any other likeness or identities - USE AT YOUR OWN DECISION/RISK. Isn't it a shame that people have to even think of a paragraph like that? I do love Jaguars and want to see them on the road.

I hope this helps.

Lou

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Mack and Lou.

Thank you for your reply.

Lou
I will look in to the place in CA you mention and post how i make out.
And yes you are so right in your frustation about having to post a disclamer just to be able to share information about vintage cars.

Mack
My Gas tank is in great shape so i was not planing on doing anything els to it.
But please let me know what you are getting at.

Thank you

Nicolai

Hi Lou,

Quick question.

DId you use clear cad-plating or a color for all the suspension parts?
you mention that you had your break parts zink-plared in gold color.... do you know if series two cars shared color to?

formercat1 Avatar
formercat1 Mack Besser
Maple Park, IL, USA   USA
Nicolai,
I was getting at RUST inside the tank. You may have a typical CA car and not know about such. AWESOME.
I have tanks zinc plated or tin dipped-this prevents rust from occuring. Mack

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Jaguar E Type Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links