The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

XJ engine in XKE

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AHDiver Alan Roberts
santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey 3000 "Toot Toot"
I recently purchased a 1968 Jaguar XKE OTS series 1.5 I was told that the original dealer swapped out the motor and trans to a auto XJ model engine #7L42988S. No sure trans number yet?
Can anyone tell me the year that this engine is? and what differences I should look for on the motor? Can I put of SU triples on this engine with the correct intake manifold?
Did they have to do any modifications to the engine or engine bay to install this motor/trans other than the center console and
How different is it when I order spares for this motor?
This is my first XKE so I will have many questions coming smiling smiley

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Alan
Santa Cruz CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
formercat1 Avatar
formercat1 Mack Besser
Maple Park, IL, USA   USA
Alan,
Look in the XK'S Unlimited catalog: they break down xj6 engine #'s, if you look at the oil filter housing page. (as I remember).
You can put the triple carbs on this engine w/proper 4.2 manifold, which can come from an E-type-quite expensive-or ...a MK X or 420 G.
These will be less costly, although they don't look exactly like an E-type manifold. But, since you are modifying the car from original 2 carb
system, that should not be an issue. You probably would want to get an earlier model distributor (DMBZ6A) which would come from earlier
E-type, 3.8 S, MK II, etc. You can tell these distributors because they are very heavy cast aluminum. Have a better advance curve.
Mack

jozx7r Avatar
jozx7r Joseph McCloskey
Co Donegal, Ireland   IRL
Alan,

You will have to source triple Su''s specifically for an e type/xke. The SU's used on other jag models won't fit under the bonnet/hood of your car, the manifold is angled upwards and the carbs touch the hood. i have an XJ6 engine in my 1969 FHC with no issues.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Jaguar Mark 2

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links