AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you repair or replace a part? Add a new accessory? Sand a panel? Take it out for a drive?
What did YOU do to your E Type today?

Post your update below...... grinning smiley

Webmaster, The Jaguar Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts

Attachments:
1963_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe_Rolled_Crash_Project_resize.jpg    43.5 KB
1963_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe_Rolled_Crash_Project_resize.jpg

GT6Steve Avatar
GT6Steve Steve Smith
North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I drove the 69 2+2 to work last week. Amazing how much work it is compared to the 90 Range Rover.

Half of that work is stressing on squirrels pulling out or changing lanes. Another quarter is slow-assed losers involved in every sort of activity besides driving!

But then, we get to the stiff clutch and heavy steering (in town) that adds up to a lot of work. Once I jump the speeds up to my comfort level it all comes together but the slog with the average moron is tiring.

An anecdote,

Back in the late eighties or early nineties I was at work early on Thanksgiving morning for maintenance. About six AM I got a call from my invalid mother saying there was a man in the house.

I jumped in the Jag and saw more than 100 MPH's getting to her thru the empty streets. Using all of my racing skills I took the intersection of two major, and thankfully empty, streets at over sixty without braking. I was there well before the cops and the perp had already bailed.

Mom was OK and all ended well for the good guys while the perp suffered a major gash going back out the broken window.

Point is, that LWB Jaguar performed miraculously well on the edge with perfect balance in the higher speed ranges. Most of our cars are never driven in anger and we seldom push to or find the limits of these chassis. Let me tell you, the limit is well beyond most drivers as I never found it in my emergency run!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-14 04:15 PM by GT6Steve.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
That's a hell of a story Steve! Glad it turned out OK.

Slow drivers in the passing lane is my pet peeve...

Member Services:
nlneilson Avatar
nlneilson Neil Neilson
Mojave & Oxnard CA, USA   USA
1962 Jaguar E-Type Convertible "Chevy SB"
1974 MG MGB "MG"
1979 Porsche 928
1979 Unknown Unknown    & more
I took the E top bows off a few days ago and all four mounting bolts (actually special stepped shafts) were stuck and broke off, no sign of rust but never removed since new. No big problem as can drill and ez-out and rework on a lathe, maybe replace with stainless.

My pet peeve is drivers not paying attention: cell phone, make up, reading, eating, drunk, etc.
Some people do not notice motorcycles, low cars like the E with top down, black cars at night next to them, etc.
Just have to expect it and drive defensively.

Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The E"
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
I ordered a new grease nipple for one of the output shafts. I broke it when I swapped my 3.54 for a 2.88 diff. It is winter though, and I am not doing much on the 'E'. The 'B' is receiving new interior panels and I fabricated a new Webasto for it.

Camdenite MGA Avatar
Camdenite MGA Marty D
Arkansas, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA 1600 "LIZZIE"
1968 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "Walt"
Well Skye and everyone, spent a few hours last weekend finally on the 68 coupe restoration. Seems here lately one thing or another is happening around the house or traveling keeping me from getting momentum on the project. Put the wings back together with the bonnet for now, pulled the right/left front to rear wiring harnesses, and pulled the fuel pump with the nasty old gas smell. Have a friend building me a rotisserie to use for the body, cheaper this way than buying one. Soon will dive in getting the IRS removed, bonnet off for storage, front wheel and steering components off, and complete dash removal with main wiring harness. Then up on the rotisserie for the body to do the bottom. Not expecting to much repair underneath but never know until you get the under coating removed. I have the plan, just need the time and good weather smileys with beer.

One thing I am looking for is a right side sugar scoop for this car. Seems from what I was told this one is a special scoop. The series one doesn't work nor does a series 2 scoop. This is one that was used in the late 67 and all of 68 cars so it is becoming a task to find. If anyone out there has one and in need of a series 2 right side scoop, I am interested in a trade.

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Thanks for the update! True you never know what you will find beneath the under coating....

Member Services:
tominseattle Avatar
tominseattle Tom G
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
A beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest and the blue sky and puffy white clouds called to me, "Drive! Drive!" So I did.

I took the '70 OTS, filled the tank at the close-by AM-PM, and headed from Seattle to U.S. 2 eastbound. A great road, incredible scenery, and a day made to drive that car.

Cruising along (mostly) two-lane roads to Leavenworth, WA. First stop was the Heidelberger (clever, huh?) greasy spoon. As you enter town from the west, it's the first place on your left. Ho-hum food, but they make a killer peanut butter milkshake. Nice folks. Stop there, get a burger and onion rings, and bypass the other stuff in the 'ville.

The town is a Bavarian village tourist concept, and it's pleasant enough. But the drive is the thing and the destination but an excuse, if one is needed, to drive a fleeting glimpse of the greatness of steel, oil, leather, and the vision of Malcom Sayer.

And I never tire of the bragging rights: "Yeah, that's my E-type."

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Great story Tom, that Leavenworth drive is a really nice one for sure. We're blessed with a lot of lovely, quiet, twisty back roads here in the Pacific Northwest!!

Member Services:
aussieflygal Avatar
aussieflygal Michelle Whitehead
Centralia, Wa, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Izzy"
1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "BeBe"
1972 MG MGB GT "Punkin"
1979 MG MGB "Maggie B"    & more
Very nice E Tom. Notice that you don't seem to have a front license plate. Wondering which states require front plates. I just bought a 1970 E type 2+2 coupe (Texas plates) and it has the front license plate mounted in the throat of the engine air intake. Estimate that it effectively restricts cooling efficiency by at least 20 percent. It is hinged so that at about 70+ mph the air flow swings the plate horizontal to allow more air flow but unfortunately the plate then tends to vibrate loudly - most disconcerting. On a hot day at legal speeds that darn front plate stays vertical and does cause higher running engine temperatures especially on long climbing hills. I'm beginning to acguire a "Pavlov dogs" response whenever I think of putting that foot down on the accelerator pedal.

mudde32 Avatar
mudde32 Clay Whitehead
Centralia, WA, USA   USA
What Michelle didn't say is that she/we drove it 3000 miles home from Atlanta, GA to Centralia, WA. She picked it up in Atlanta after purchasing it on a well known auction site. After an inspection and some trial driving, she headed to the left coast. She picked me up in Omaha and we finished the trip together.

The license plate rattle happened in either turbulent wind conditions or when we were doing about 65 to 70 and a big rig passed us and left us in its wake turbulence.

We usually drove between 60 and 65 so as not to stress the car. We wanted to get home without incident. When possible, we left the interstates to drive on the quieter two lane US highways. That was more pleasant and gave us better scenery. Alas, the freeways have gobbled up huge chunks of the old US system, so that option wasn't always there.

The E-Type drove beautifully and we had a great drive. When we asked it for a bit more speed to pass, there was no hesitation. It's a grand car to drive and we hope to drive it for a long time to come.

Clay Whitehead

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

1972 MBG-GT-"Punkin"
2004 Jaguar X-Type sedan-"Squiffy"
1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2-(unnamed as yet)
1979 MGB Roadster-"Maggie B"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500-(unnamed as yet, but will probably something rude)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 10:13 PM by mudde32.

tominseattle Avatar
tominseattle Tom G
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Washington does not require a front license plate if you have registered the car as "antique" or "collector." In fact, the DMV only gives you one plate, for the rear. I'm not sure about other states.

aussieflygal Avatar
aussieflygal Michelle Whitehead
Centralia, Wa, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A "Izzy"
1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "BeBe"
1972 MG MGB GT "Punkin"
1979 MG MGB "Maggie B"    & more
Thanks Tom. Yes I checked with the WDOT and will get a collector license. Solves the air scoop issue nicely. The WDOT said the single rear license plate is acceptable in all States. We're going over the old gal and building a must do list. Changed out the fuel lines and will replace all of the hose fittings and replace the cooling system thermostat. Mostly good sense routine maintenance stuff to establish a benchmark date log book.

tominseattle Avatar
tominseattle Tom G
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Michelle!

Do me a favor and check out your tires. I'd like to know the brand name, model, and size. I need to replace my tires and the choices seem to be limited and the advice I've gotten, while greatly appreciated, is all over the map.

Tom

tominseattle Avatar
tominseattle Tom G
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I removed all of the chrome from the front end in order to repair and rechrome.

I think it looks kinda cool!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster