This topic is about my 1966 Jaguar 3.8S
jrhickmn Avatar
jrhickmn James Hickman
Sevierville, TN, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Maggie Rose"
1963 MG Magnette MkIV "Iris"
1966 Jaguar 3.8S
1972 MG MGB GT "Liz"    & more
so, i know there are some sheet-metal differences between my S and the MK2 it developed from and i know that the rear suspension is completely different, but if i am researching what is under the hood and looking for parts under the hood, what is different and what isn't? Mk2 parts are easier to find, so knowing what crosses over would be helpful. likewise, how much of my 3.8 is the same as the XKE? (i did tarp this engine tight after taking the picture...and yes, it is "free."winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2759.JPG    60.9 KB
IMG_2759.JPG

Curmudgeon Dave C
somewhere, USA   USA
1950 Ford Custom
1950 Ford F-1 "The Ugly Truckling"
1964 Jaguar Mark 2 "Elizabeth"
Same engine. Depending on year and model, carbs, inlet manifold...later camshaft covers, possibly pulleys. However, most folks anymore doing an XKE are doing it right, and numbers matching is important. If you are just cobbling one together to make it run, compare manifolds, pulleys, rocker covers, carbs, possibly distributor to the unit you removed (and look at the rev counter generator...and generator/alternator brackets).
SAVE the old engine, as if you sell the vehicle on, having matching number block and head might be important to the next person.

Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
there are some differences but overall the engine is the same, whether a 3.4 or 3.8, the transmissions used were also the same.

differences include the vacuum-operated fresh air scuttle or vent, twin fuel tanks and twin fuel pumps,
larger front fog lamps at 5.25" as compared to the MK-2 which are 4.25", the exhaust system is more involved.

what parts are you looking for? everything is available new for the engines.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 02:19 PM by Jose A..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeterT Peter T
Oxford, Oxford, UK   GBR
Apart from the rear axle and suspension and parts of the interior and heating, almost everything mechanical is common between the Mk2 and S-type. However, the S tended to receive updates, such as the all synchro gearbox and revised steering box before the Mk2. The last of the Mk2, the 240 and 240, had the straight port cylinder head like the E-type; the S-type never received it.

For several items the differences are as much a matter of model year as actual type.

another similarity and difference:

The doors:

The doors are the same but the door latches and catches are different. The hardware is also different inside the doors.

The window glass and the chromed window frames are also different, they are taller in the S type.

In other words:

the S type door will fit the MK-2 door opening and hinges but nothing else will match.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

AlanWiedie Gold Member Alan Wiedie
Bolton, CT, USA   USA
Other engine differences:

MK2 oil pan is pressed steel, S Type is cast aluminum like the E types

Different oil filter head and oil filter orientation

Completely different air cleaner setup

1964 S Type
1966 E type
1956 MGA

PeterT Peter T
Oxford, Oxford, UK   GBR
Alan,

The oil and air filter arrangements and the ali sump are more examples where it's a case of years rather than model. They all (eventually) appeared on the Mk2 (or 240/240), but at a later date.

Concerning the air filters, I've always wondered if there was some kind of competition in the Jaguar company to design the ugliest filter box that most blocked the view of the most beautiful engine

Curmudgeon Dave C
somewhere, USA   USA
1950 Ford Custom
1950 Ford F-1 "The Ugly Truckling"
1964 Jaguar Mark 2 "Elizabeth"
Alan-
The big problem here stems from the initial JCNA Judging Guide which liked to use "All Mk2's shall have.." when it wasn't.
Remember three engines in a Mk2.

My 1964 Mk2 has an aluminium sump. It also has an air cleaner assembly you may not have seen before (oil bath, sitting fully above the exhaust camshaft cover). Manual FACTORY choke, and downdraught carburettors. Single outlet exhaust, NO "jockey pulley" (nor room for one).

And my block and head numbers match to wheelhouse tag.

there are about 6 identical but different oil filter heads, each with a different angle, depending on the car it was to be used on.

Same head, different filter canister angle.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

PeterT Peter T
Oxford, Oxford, UK   GBR
If anyone wants to be really serious about this topic, they need copies of the original Jaguar spare parts catalogues. I think the catalogue for the Mk2 3.4, 3.8 and 340 is easily found, as is the one for the 420 (you can order them from Amazon). The S type and the 2.4 may need a bit more effort. They give a fairly complete indication of what parts were used and on which chassis or engine numbers.

Even they aren't absolute. Parts supplies in the 1960s could be erratic and available alternatives would be used. Also, there were unlisted and special order versions. Cars supplied to UK police forces had upgraded electrics. If your car was on the production line at the same time as these, some parts may have spilled over, an extra relay or more powerful generator.

And, of course, parts used as replacements were usually those most recently adopted. If your old glass windscreen washer bottle was broken in 1975, the replacement would almost certainly have been the later plastic type, even though your car pre-dated its introduction.

AlanWiedie Gold Member Alan Wiedie
Bolton, CT, USA   USA
Peter,

Well, my original post proves the old adage that you should have your facts straight before putting your foot in your mouth. I think I can speak pretty knowledgeably about the S Types, having owned mine for over forty years, restoring it a couple of times, but the MK2 models are obviously a different story and I shouldn't have been comparing them without doing further research.

While there do not appear to have been any changes made to the S Type air cleaner (C23094) and oil filter (C23066) over the production run (Jaguar Spares Catalogue J.35), the original aluminum sump (C20798/1) was changed on both the MK 2 and S Type cars in October, 1964, according to Jaguar Spares Bulletin A.154. Those spares and service bulletins, available on CD from Jaguar Cars, are a wealth of information. I would be interested in any feedback as the goal in my mind is to get these cars as correct as possible during a restoration and to keep upgrading as new information becomes available.

The MK 2 on the other hand, along with the 240 and 340, appear to have been changing those items quite a bit over the years.

PeterT Peter T
Oxford, Oxford, UK   GBR
Alan,
There's no foot in the mouth at all. We all have to work with the info that we have and, in the case of Jaguars from 50 years ago, it's somewhat limited. If we don't share thoughts and opinions, we'll not learn.
You did well to obtain the CDs as they seem to have disappeared with the re-organisation of Jaguar Heritage. I have Mk2 service and parts manuals that I bought from a dealer in the late 1970s. I treasure them, but they fill a lot of shelf space.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Jaguar E Type Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links