JagExp

Classics Saloons Forum

Mk X / 420G steering - anyone adapted XJ6 or XJS rack?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
1968 420G RHD:
the Adwest steering box again began leaking shortly after having been "rebuilt" (probably just seals replaced) by a garage in Norfolk, VA.
We had a 67 420G that had an XJS rack/pinion unit mounted on it (done by PO), but there were pretty noticeable limitations in its turning circle, AND I believe other parts of the XJS front end had to be used.

Has any progress been made regarding a viable rack for these Mark 10's / 420G's, similar to what is being offered for the Mk 2's?

Thanks for any info.

1968 Jag 420G
1976 MG Midget, BugEye nose conversion
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo conversion
1956 Jag XK140

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
the issues remain as far as I know. The steering geometry of these cars does not lend itself to rack & pinion as I was told. Happens with the small saloons too, the MK-2, S type, and 420, although I understand the 420 came with a better steering box and power steering pump which is similar to the XJ-6 pump used from 1968 to 1992, a GM Saginaw pump.

I gave up on the idea to do rack & pinion in my '65 S type after I started hearing complaints from others about the turning circle being affected, why waste the money if it won't be better than what the car has.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Jose,
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll stick with original.

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
you welcome baloo.

I did the same, just rebuild the original system to make it newer.

SNG Barrat USA store has an exchange program with Brake Boosters for our cars, you might check with them to see if they have rebuilt steering boxes.

http://www.sngbarratt.com/Home.aspx?b=US

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
I have been seeing "Electronic power steering" conversions for the XK140's.
I wonder if this might be applicable to the 420G's, and if it would eliminate the leaking problem -- or if it would just result in more problems?
ANy experience or feedback on this?

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

no xperience or stories to share, but I have been hearing about it since the late 1990s.

the picture attached is called EZ-steering, looks extremely bulky to me.

there is a company in the UK that sells them, I think the name is Wilkinson

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

Attachments:
EZ-steering.jpg    34.7 KB
EZ-steering.jpg

here's a writeup on the rack & pinion conversion that was just posted today in another Jaguar forum:

steering rack conversions..
seems there is plenty of choice.. most use the series 3 XJ6 rack with shortened outer tie rods.. I just installed a kit for XKs unltd.. it has not gone well.. firstly the shortened tie rods are still too long to get the distance between steering arms correct .. (starting pint is apporx 47" between centre of tea rod ends installed) I had to take approx 3/8'' off each tie rod to get length suitable for width.. secondly the 're-conditioned rack' they supplied leaked like a sieve as soon as fluid was poured in reservoir.. thirdly there are saint instructions for getting the connecting shaft to steering column the coorrect length ( instructions state shorten by 1/2" -1" ..in fact it needed about 4" taken off ) thirdly the 'replacement' rebuilt rack they supplied to day ( i paid fora new one ..$658 + tax and shipping..due to thier 30 days on addressing returns ) looks sub standard.. pinion position is in a totally different place to the 'other' rack.. no inner boot clips supplied.. the mounting bushings were totally shot (perished and rotted) ..
my advice.. keep well clear of the Xks unltd kit.. I will try one of the vicarage kits next .. very different concept with emplacement pulls and brackets, separate steering pump and belts and it comes with the column linkage..
results on driving..tire squeal on corners.. the geometry is all off due to different length of rack V old set up..and sharp angles of tie rods leave lot to be desired.. steers much more positively.. belt (new) squeals on turns for parking.. its an improvement over the stock st up, but they quality of the XKs unltd kit best described as sub standard.. also length of high pressure hose is WAY too long..I had to fabricate a bracket to secure it so it does not chafe on either cylinder block or cars monocoque.. not sure how long the replacement rack will last.. i dont trust the quality .. everything about it says 'shoddy'

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Jose,
Thanks! Good info.
Looks like the XKs LTD version is a "bum steer", huh.
I wonder what his results were with the Vicarage kit?

I had contacted someone about 5 years ago (poss. XKs Inc?) and they said their replacement units would not fit eh MK10/420G -- only the Mk 2 and 420.
Wonder it this has changed any.

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

there is an article on the Vicarage system and it looks like they solved all the problems, at least in the S type.

Vicarage is a reputable company, I'm sure if you contact them they will help you. None of the XKs b.s.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
I happened to be looking at some other make car forums, and the electric power steering module seems to becoming a "standard" for hotrods. It is also being used on high end modern cars.

The main point that I got from one article is that the power steering pump is normally pumping full time, via the fan belt pulley system. But, the pwoer steering is only needed at very low, parking lot speeds -- not at highway speeds.
Therefore, the rationale is that the pump pulley is constantly draining power from the engine and unnecessarily straining it, whenever you are travelling over 15-20mph.

I scanned in an article on electric pwoer steering and am attaching it.
I'll bet prices and applications will increase over the next few years. Will be watching this.

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

Attachments:
Electric steering info StreetRodLife0001.jpg    64.2 KB
Electric steering info StreetRodLife0001.jpg

Electric steering info StreetRodLife0002.jpg    62.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster