Mk2 automatic transmission fluid.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, Newfoundland, Canada   CAN
Hi,
I am having trouble finding Type A ATF. References on the bottles are a little vague so I am afraid to try something else. Type A has been superceded but to what exactly?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
Type A was the first ATF developed by GM for their transmissions, it was superseded by Dexron. Back in the day there was also type F for Ford transmissions, it had higher friction properties suited to their applications. You could use it in type A transmissions if you were towing and didn't mind harsher shifts in exchange for less slip. Type F was superseded by Mercon and eventually you were buying fluid which was labeled Dexron/Mercon so they evolved toward the middle ground.

I don't know if you have NAPA stores in Canada but they sell a type FA which is basically a middle of the road blend for early type A transmissions.

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks Stuart,
Yes, I have a NAPA store about 20 miles away. I'll check out what they say. The ATF bottles scare me with their comments about do not use in transmissions requiring Type F or what have you. I use Type F in the XJ6 and that is getting harder to find as well. It certainly isn't available at highway service stations but most car parts places still carry it.
I'll let you know what NAPA says. Thanks for the tip.
David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
I checked eBay and there's plenty of Type A ATF available: Click on the below link for a case of 12 quarts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accel-22800-Type-A-ATF-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart-Pack-of-12-/263023221754?epid=1061589919&hash=item3d3d67dbfa:g:2BMAAOSw9OFZNt-L

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 07:34 PM by Jose A..

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks Jose,

I didn't think of checking ebay.
David

you welcome David,

when you go to eBay, just type: "Type A transmission fluid" (without the quotes), in the Search box at the top of the page, and you will see many more Type A listings with different prices, some with Free Shipping.

the link I posted is just one of the many I saw. There is also Type F available.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Hi Jose,
Our local Napa doesn't have FA type ATF in stock but they can order a case for me with their usual order and I won't have to pay shipping. However, I checked Walmart yesterday and they had a more stock in of their brand of Type A fluid. Hopefully Walmart will continue bringing it in.
David

David, that is great news, now we know Type A is not extinct.

I will check Walmart too.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster