JagExp

Classics Saloons Forum

Asking Input: Jag Heritage Certificates?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
We've gotten these Jag Heritage Certificates in the past for our 420G's, and now with our newly acquired XK140, for the first time, we're questioning the value/veracity of applying for one for this car.

What is the community thinking on these certifs?
Thanks.

1968 Jag 420G
1976 MG Midget, BugEye nose conversion
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo conversion
1956 Jag XK140

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
my opinion is: Why bother?

I have heard from other Jag owners that the information provided is dissapointing if not lacking.

If you want to know the Build Date of your Jag, there is now a free Online VIN Vehicle Decoder, and you can print it
by using the PrintScreen.

But if you want a certificate, you can get it in the USA for less than from the UK, thru the JCNA website.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 05:00 AM by Jose A..

Nigelw Nigel W
Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, UK   GBR
Have to agree with Jose A, I have one for my S Type that has wrong colours for exterior and interior stated on cert.

1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type
1972 Jaguar 4.2 XJ6
1979 MG Midget Frogeye conversion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wallstman1 Johnonnolly C
New York, New York, USA   USA
Waste of time. Means nothing.

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
OK, seems that there are plenty of reasons not to get one.

I really thought that all classic Jag car owners got their Heritgae certificate!

ANyone out there have positive feedback on why to get one of these??

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

wallstman1 Johnonnolly C
Personally, I have never met anyone who has one, I have had my E-Type since new, and I certainly can not think of any useful reason to get one. At the end of the day, Jaguars were heavily produced cars, not any sort of one-off with limited production, and they were all built in the same place ! If your car has had several owners, should be easy enough to trace ownership, plus original color, or dealership of original sale.

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
In reply to # 14168 by wallstman1 ....If your car has had several owners, should be easy enough to trace ownership, plus original color, or dealership of original sale.

Speaking of which (tracing past ownerships), what is your technique for cars before 1981?
I have tried this exhaustedly on some older American cars, and the State license bureaus are of no help --- they don't keep old old records.
AND, most past owners from the 50s and 60s have either mvoed several times, or are in Assisted Living homes or dead.

You have some source?
Thx.

1968 Jag 420G
1956 Jag XK140

wallstman1 Johnonnolly C
Great point. I have no idea. It has never been a problem. Good luck!

BillJ4 William Jones
Widnes, Cheshire, UK   GBR
They give original chassis, engine & transmission numbers. It is usually important to have original matching numbers on a car
to achieve best price. They normally give correct original colours paint & upholstery.

wallstman1 Johnonnolly C
Important for sure. I have just never had a problem getting such info. With all the info and data available in our digital high tech world, all Heritage is doing is what is available to anyone, with a little homework and research. Only my opinion, but not worth paying someone else to put it all down on a pretty piece of paper. One would think a new buyer, about to plunk down a pile of dough on a Jag of any model and/or condition, is not going to put much faith in a certificate which has no legal worth, or credibility. .

$50.00 dollars for a printout.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

btwhitby Avatar
btwhitby Barry T
Whitby, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I found certification helpful for a couple of things: (1) ensuring matching numbers for originality (2) in my case I had what I though was a Canadian import with the wrong dif, I learned from the certification that the car was delivered in Europe and then sent over here.

wallstman1 Johnonnolly C
Well...there ya go.....its good for something. Enjoy your beauty !

MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
I think it is important to obtain if you want to retain the originality of the Jaguar. The price you pay is not anything to the cost of a restoration, only to find the numbers do not match and the value of the car is diminished. The first on I obtained on my MK2 back in the 80's was only a hand written sheet the new ones are quite nice and cane be framed and displayed.

but to confirm the numbers match, all you have to do is look at the Placque on the firewall / bulkhead, the numbers are there.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster