JagExp

Classics Saloons Forum

Asking Input: Jag Heritage Certificates?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
The data plate means nothing if it has been changed to reflect the numbers that are currently in the car. People have been known to replace the original plate. A certificate is the only true way to be sure.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sailr Avatar
sailr Glen Read
Edmonds, WA, USA   USA
It's funny reading the negative replies. For the small cost of $50 bucks or so, obtaining the official factory record of construct dates and serial numbers, original colors and delivery dates, original owners etc. can definitely increase the value of your car if it is original. Restored or not restored.
And there can be other advantages. For example when I got the Heritage Certificate for my 1958 XK150S I was blown away to discover that it was delivered in Oct 1958 from the New York dealer to a guy in the same town as I live in WA State. Not only that but he had the same name.

Attachments:
2015-06-20 009S.JPG    70.5 KB
2015-06-20 009S.JPG

Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
it's a matter of choice, some think it's a useless document, some think it's important.

If you want to find out the car's original COLOR, get in the crevices that are never repainted.

Based on the comments here, there are better things to do with $50.00 like paying the next door kid
to polish my wire wheels.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveAT Avatar
SteveAT Silver Member Steve Thornton
Princeton by the Sea, CA, USA   USA
1956 Jaguar Mark 1 "Double-O-Sixty-One"
Our 2.4 Litre Saloon was marketed as a 1957. As we made the decision to buy it I was fairly certain that it was actually a 1956 because of its grille. The data plate was missing, but the body number and transmission serial numbers were (are) there and the certificate search determined that it is, indeed, a 1956. Now, based on that result, we think there is a good chance that our #S940061 is the oldest LHD matching numbers 2.4 Litre still rolling along.
The information we got by getting the certificate is valued by us. However, the document itself is less than impressive.
My wish for the Heritage Association would be to have some way to access the records to see what cars have been 'certified' and whatever else about the vehicles the individual owners care to share.
Bottom line: under our circumstances we'd absolutely do it again.

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 14192 by SteveAT Our 2.4 Litre Saloon was marketed as a 1957. As we made the decision to buy it I was fairly certain that it was actually a 1956 because of its grille. The data plate was missing, but the body number and transmission serial numbers were (are) there and the certificate search determined that it is, indeed, a 1956. Now, based on that result, we think there is a good chance that our #S940061 is the oldest LHD matching numbers 2.4 Litre still rolling along.
The information we got by getting the certificate is valued by us. However, the document itself is less than impressive.
My wish for the Heritage Association would be to have some way to access the records to see what cars have been 'certified' and whatever else about the vehicles the individual owners care to share.
Bottom line: under our circumstances we'd absolutely do it again.

Ah, now there's a good reason -- and also a good suggestion (" ...some way to access the records to see what cars have been certified".

1968 Jag 420G
1976 MG Midget, BugEye nose conversion
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo conversion
1956 Jag XK140

btwhitby Avatar
btwhitby Barry T
Whitby, Ontario, Canada   CAN
There's a coincidence. My 1967 E-Type is one of the very last series 1 jags built. The certificate helped prove that. But the car is registered as a 1968 and skewed downward the valuation of the car prior to my acquisition of it. The car is worth considerably more with my up to date valuation. Get your jag certified.

MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
Some unscrupulous owners have changed the ID plate with numbers that match what is in the car not what came with the car. A Heritage Cert is the only way to know.

btwhitby Avatar
btwhitby Barry T
Glad you weighed in. The greater the level of authenticity every jag owner can establish the better for the whole community.

SteveAT Avatar
SteveAT Silver Member Steve Thornton
Princeton by the Sea, CA, USA   USA
1956 Jaguar Mark 1 "Double-O-Sixty-One"
Our '56 2.4 Litre indicates the original registration was in 1957, and that has followed it since on official documents, with the "body number" on the right side firewall now being used as a substitute for the registration number.
The certificate also indicated that the car was painted a custom color, Pacific Blue (custom for '56 2.4's, anyway), but no original owner was named, so we guessed its possible history involves the dealership in New York being the orderer, and this car being a demo...driven as such in '56 and finally sold in '57 when the new models showed up.
BTW, are there any East Coast-Boston Area silverbacks out there from back in the '50s-1980 (restored in '79-'80) who may know of a blue '56 Mark 1 that had a trailer wire harness/connector (can you imagine?)?
Maybe your E-Type has led a similar past life (sans trailer hdwe)..?..

btwhitby Avatar
btwhitby Barry T
Here's what I learned. The car was built in May, 1967 near the end of the run for series 1 cars. Mine has 100% matching numbers in relation to the certificate and in relation to the factory plate. The colors are original, matching the certificate. The car was delivered in Europe, thus explaining the European final drive ratio. I have the name of the original owner. It eventually found its way to a Toyota dealer in Toronto. 40 years later I got my hands on it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links