The XJ Forum (6/12/Series)

Water/Condensation leaking to floor mats XJ-6 XJ-40

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

magicohmeohmy Avatar
magicohmeohmy Donald Lowery
Louisiana, USA   USA
If you ever had about a cup or two of water/condensation appear in your front floor mats/rugs, what did you do?
This is happening when I use my air conditioner in hot weather. The last two times it has been the passenger side floor, then before that the driver's side floor. It wipes up fairly easy with a bunch of paper towels, but the floor mat rugs soak up some of the water and have to be left out in the sun to dry for a day or so. It is irritating. It seems to be dripping slowly from under the dash and down the most forward part of the foot area. I can't seem to find exactly where it is dripping from. And we all know what a horrible time it is to remove the dash. It is a subtle appearance of water, slow but sure, because it has occurred many times now over the past two summers. Don

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Black Jake John Hall
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
This happened on my XJ40. There are condensate trays under the evaporators in the car. These have a drain which discharges through the floor. The drain pipes are behind the carpet on the gearbox tunnel. If you remove the floor mats and lift the tunnel carpet you will find them. The pipes are probably choked with gunk and can be cleared using a small air line. It's a DIY job. Hope this helps.

magicohmeohmy Avatar
Louisiana, USA   USA
John Hall: Thank you so much. I will get my great mechanic/technician (Brad) to look it over with your message in mind. I am sure your message will be great guidance. The floor filled with water yesterday on a long trip and was embarassing to me because my best friend was riding there in the passenger side. I had an extra towel and carpet for his feet. Thanks again for your help. God bless you ...Don

magicohmeohmy Avatar
Louisiana, USA   USA
Yep, that was it. Thanks and hope it helps others. Don

magicohmeohmy Avatar
Louisiana, USA   USA
John:

Having a new problem with the air conditioning. Went to everyone (Jaguar dealers and homegrown mechanics that they referred me to) to recharge my system with freon. They all say they no longer have the tools to do the job. Plus, some say that I cannot use generic freon.

First question they ask, "Do you have R-24 converter?"

Do you know anything about this issue?

Don

1994 XJ-40/XJ-6 owner.

Thanks for your previous "fix" on A/C drain.

DBlevins Dennis Blevins
Pennsylvania, USA   USA
His wet socks should have made him feel cooler!
:-)
Clogged drains from drip pans - as noted before.

Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
take it to a professional A/C shop. you need to find out what type of refrigerant you have in the system, then recharge with the right one. A/C shops have all kinds of adapters.

R12 is no longer legal but it is still used in government fleets.

R134a is the automotive refrigerant that your car car most likely has.

you can buy R134a at Walmart for $4.00 a can.

you can buy refrigerants on eBay also. There are many alternative refrigerants available. R134a is not the last coke in the desert. There are better ones.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster