JagExp

The XJ Forum (6/12/Series)

12 cyl XJS overheating

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
in the Caribbean islands, and other tropical climate areas, thermostats are removed. You don't need Heating in the Tropics, there are no winter temperatures. The engines are never "cold", just lukewarm, sometimes in the morning the engine is still warm.

I understand that everywhere else needs thermostats. But in a tropical island, or in the Mexican desert, a stuck-closed
thermostat is a problem.

just remove the thermostats and see what happens. Will you blow the engine? no. In any case it will run cooler.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
memotor Guillermo T
juarez, Mexico   MEX
Thank's David, appreciate your time.
Lots of homework to do.
SALUDOS!

memotor Guillermo T
juarez, Mexico   MEX
As a matter of fact, Jose, here in Juarez is a common practice to remove the thermostat, because the high temperatures that we have to deal with during summer.
But I guess that it depends on the actual design of the cooling system, that determines the success of that move or the lack of...
I've experienced situations when the system is not able to cope with the heat generated in the engine, and not enough time for the hot coolant to cool off inside the radiator, since its flowing freely, with no thermostat to control this flow, resulting in a never stopping climb of the engine temp.
Anyway one more thing to consider.
Thank's Jose.
You guys are really helpful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Jaguar E Type Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links