MK2 DG automatic Transmission filter

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, NL, Canada   CAN
Hello,
The transmission filter for the DG transmission has gone out of sight in price and is hard to get. SNG Barratt wants over $750 for a filter. That is nuts! The filter for my XJ6 is about $15. Consequently I will not be buying a filter for the MK2 unless someone can suggest an alternative. I am wondering if the existing filter can be cleaned safely and effectively. Otherwise I’ll just leave it alone.
Thanks for any ideas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
search online for Borg Warner DG rebuilders, these transmissions were used since 1957 in Studebakers, then Jaguars.

There are many rebuilders and parts sources.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks for the tip.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
http://www.charlietranny.com/Automatic%20Drive%20Parts%20for%20Sale.htm

the above link shows the filter for $120. plus shipping.

also check eBay.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks. I’ll have to call them to make sure it is the correct filter. Also it says “used”.

Orlando, FL, USA   USA
did not notice it says used. Pass on it. A used filter you already have.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

Orlando, FL, USA   USA
spoke to a company that sells DG250 parts; New filters are no longer available. They also have used but good ones for $38. plus shipping. If you want to get a used one then let me know. Apparently we are doomed!

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks for doing all that leg work. I wonder what they mean by used exactly. Someone must be cleaning them. You know beside having difficulty with the transmission filter SNG is having trouble supplying a brake master cylinder kit as well as a booster rebuild kit for my 1974 XJ6. Other suppliers are out of stock as well. Apparently manufacturers are not prompt with orders. I find that odd since there must be plenty of XJs still on the road compared to the MK2. Until now I have never heard of reusing a transmission filter.
David

Orlando, FL, USA   USA
you.re welcome David.

apparently the filters must be "cleanable", and I support SNG Barratt in the US, but $750. for a filter? For that kind of downpayment I would convert my S type to a GM 700R transmission with 4 speeds.

Also I am seeing more and more suppliers with decent prices surfacing in Australia as of lately. Check Ebay AU.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
I did the transmission service on the XJ6. There wasn’t any sludge at all in the pan and the filter is simply a screen that is easily washed and reused. I still haven’t done the MK2 transmission. Perhaps that filter is simply washed as well. Finding Type A fluid is a problem but I think a Dexron variant can be used. I won’t do the job now until next summer.

Orlando, FL, USA   USA
David,

if you can get a picture of your DG250 filter, post it here. I found a business that told me they have unidentified DG250 transmission filters and they are asking for a picture.

1965 Jaguar S type
1984 Jaguar XJ-6

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Hello Jose,
I don’t have a picture of the filter. The transmission is a DG200 and from what I have learned a lot of Studebakers had the same tranny or the DG250. Perhaps the filters are the same. I won’t be doing that job until the summer and may just wash the old filter. The filter in the XJ6 was clean and a very robust metal screen. Perhaps the DG is similar and only needs cleaning.
I still haven’t come across any ATF type A.
Thanks.

Orlando, FL, USA   USA
DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
Thanks Jose,
It wasn’t too many years ago that type A was still on the shelves so I still look for it. I did realize that Dexron 111 had taken over.
Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2010 Jaguar XKR

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links