The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

New owner -- lots of restoration questions

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Coeshow Avatar
Coeshow Mike C
El Cajon, CA, USA   USA
And in response to the previous post, I had 0 issues in removing the manifold components. I did all of the work with the engine in place. Very straight forward. I don’t understand what problems he had in order to do the SU swap?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ejag66 Avatar
ejag66 Platinum Member Ward Hill
Ridgeley, WV, USA   USA
Nice work. I found other references to folks having fabricated tubular replacements for the outer (preheat) manifold.

I found it nearly impossible to access the three bottom rearmost nuts of the inner manifold. Others have said it can be done, but offer examples of foul language, special tools, etc. as to method. Do these nuts become accessible if the manifold is split removing the outer half first?

I still have a great set of SUs ready to install, and I can attest to a significant difference in throttle response as compared to the original installation of dual Strombergs having owned and restored both S1 and S2 e-types and an early SJ that I upgraded to triple SUs. Not only is there greater flow area, but the triple carb manifold is beautifully designed for direct flow to the cylinders without redirection. However, I am expecting good results from the mods I made and the rebuilt carbs, so when the weather here returns to tolerable, I hope to get back on the road.

Attachments:
JagEngine1.jpg    66.5 KB
JagEngine1.jpg

231850688115.jpg    25.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Coeshow Avatar
Coeshow Mike C
El Cajon, CA, USA   USA
I did remove the outer manifold with the linked butterflies first. My aluminum spacers were made to the same dimensions as the removed section as to keep all of the inlet components in their original locations.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Coeshow Avatar
Coeshow Mike C
El Cajon, CA, USA   USA
Your car is beautiful. I’m the second owner of mine and it’s unrestored so the engine bay looks it’s age. I’ll likely renovate it there when I ultimately have to pull the engine and tranny for a new clutch. That may be years from now. I have a 5 speed conversion ready to install when that time comes.

Attachments:
10B91150-BF33-4B47-8A97-F6E64E365850.jpeg    58.2 KB
10B91150-BF33-4B47-8A97-F6E64E365850.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Jaguar XK150

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links