Ignition 1970 xke 4.2 series 2 OTS

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Baldi70E Avatar
Baldi70E john bald
beamsville, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi

Just joined......... so hello everyone. I'm in Beamsville Ontario Canada and have had my 1970 Etye for 4 years now and have been slowly restoring it. I have had the bonnet off for painting and on re installation shorted out the coil and fuse . I have replaced both fuse and coil and the plugs, It started again fine and ran but it would keep running after the ignition was turned off, ( did I miss a wire on the cap? ) so I disconnected the coil wire. Now it starts but wont run, I have been told that ignition condenser is may be shorted out in the distributor cap............. does this make sense ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1R11126 Perry Davids
Hi,

What fuse are you referring to? It sounds like you have an ignition switch problem if you cannot turn the engine off. Also, I highly recommend you get rid of the points distributor and replace with an Electronic unit available from XKS Unlimited. Probably the best improvement I have made to my car

Attachments:
E-Type August 2017.jpg    51.3 KB
E-Type August 2017.jpg

Baldi70E Avatar
Baldi70E john bald
Hi

Nice colour .....fuse #6 keeps blowing on the right fuse box, I will install the EI once its back in my garage, but I need to move it first. Ill replace the ignition condenser in the DC and see if that allows me to run it.........turning off is different story. Wondering if I have all the coil wires hooked up correctly or is it a fault in the starter relay? The ignition worked stellar before the paint job only after re assembly has this issue arisen.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1R11126 Perry Davids
Fuse # 6 has nothing to do with the ignition circuit or the starter. Still think you have done damage to the actual ignition switch somehow. Does your car have ballast resistor connected to the coil? Check the wiring diagram and test all circuits - especially the keyed ignition switch. The wiring on these cars is quite simple.

1R11126 Perry Davids
Just another thought for the future. I have a battery cut-off switch installed and use it anytime I do anything electrical or otherwise.

Baldi70E Avatar
Baldi70E john bald
Thanks I don't think I have the BR on the coil what's it look like, don't see it on the diagarm either, but could have been put on later, wiring is a bit of Heinz 57 on the car. I have ordered the EI and they asked me about the BR, also. I will tackle the starting issue first so I can get it in my trailer then home. Once there I can go over the whole deal, hoping its just the ignition condenser for now. I don't why fuse 6 keeps blowing, but it wont start without either. Thanks for the input very helpful.

Ropariva Avatar
Ropariva Alan Roper
Caloundra, QLD, Australia   AUS
1970 Jaguar E-Type "JR"
Hi
I have a S2 1970 and it has the ballast resistor that is now obsolete since I replaced the distributor with a 123 electronic unit. Highly recommend this and it simplifies the ignition side of things. I’m more concerned as to what you shorted out when the bonnet went on? Was there smoke? Or did it simply not start after there is a presumption that something happened?
The fuse blowing is a worry.
Fuse 6 has
Horn relay
Wiper switch
Heater/fan switch
Fan relays
Stop light switch
Windscreen washer switch
Basically a heap of green 12v feeds to ancillary units. I’d disconnect these one at a time or disconnect all and reconnect one at a time till the fuse blows. I’ve attached the ballast ignition diagram that is usually missing from the manuals.
Hard to say more about you issue till you provide more details of what happened. Hopefully we can assist. Alan

Attachments:
0F80C57E-45C3-4CEA-BA67-CD3F464A7363.jpeg    41.7 KB
0F80C57E-45C3-4CEA-BA67-CD3F464A7363.jpeg

Baldi70E Avatar
Baldi70E john bald
Thanks for the drawing......no smoke on the short, seemed hood was crimping the rad sensor line caused a fuse to blow, also bracket from new coil grounded out on the hood. Both have been fixed, I replaced the fuse and the ignition condenser in the DC and the plugs and it started fine and drove it to the paint booth. It would'nt turn off, so disconnected the coil to cut the engine and I suspect the ignition condenser is blown again. I have the electronic ignition system coming, I will replace the ignition condenser today and move into the trailer and take her home. Still don't why it will not turn off however ?

Ropariva Avatar
Ropariva Alan Roper
Caloundra, QLD, Australia   AUS
1970 Jaguar E-Type "JR"
Yeah, it’s sounding more like an ignition switch problem. Check to see if you have 12v at the coil (white, white/blue on the + side) when the battery is connected and the ignition off. If you do that would be why your blowing the condenser.
Less likely is the ignition relay as in theory if it’s stuck internally the starter would kick in.

Aircommuter John Powell
Coulterville, CA, USA   USA
Using that diagram the relay is what gives the coil full 12v for starting, if it sticks it will keep running, so when it is running with the key off disconnect that relay and see if that kills it. Once started normal run is through the ballast resister to lower the coil feed voltage to 6-8v to reduce point wear. The condenser absorbs coil return surge that is created by charging and discharging during normal running.

Baldi70E Avatar
Baldi70E john bald
Question I noticed there are 3 relays in under the bonnet, 2 by the battery and one ignition on the fire wall, are they all the same or is each one specific ?

1R11126 Perry Davids
Each relay is specific

Horns, Starter, Radiator Fans.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links