JagExp

The Pub

Jag 420 Head Stud Problem Help Required!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Haggle63 Avatar
Haggle63 Rob Farrow
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
Hi help advise is needed.

I purchased the 420 in Feb this year 3 months ago.

I had the gear box rebuilt, Electrics rewired.
But now I find that the original engine has been replaced with an XJ6 4.2 engine that has a head stud that won't torque up. I believe the tread has been stripped in the block.

What is the best way to proceed.
Any help would be great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
If it is indeed striped as you have indicated, you will have to pull the head and healy coil new treads into the block.

Haggle63 Avatar
Haggle63 Rob Farrow
Gillingham, Kent, UK   GBR
Thanks for the reply, the general consensus is just as you said. I have booked the old girl into Thanet engines next week. As well as repairing the 1 stud I know to be useless they will check all the others whilst they are at it.

Thanks
Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hugomiller Avatar
hugomiller Hugo Miller
Clermont, FL, USA   USA
You might be lucky - before pulling the head off, I would try & get that stud out to see what it's like. If it's just the stud that's stripped you will probably get away with just sticking a new stud in there. It's unusual for an internal thread to strip in a cast steel block. I would say your chances are about 50/50. Worth a shot anyway. Why were you trying to torque the head anyway?

MKJag Avatar
MKJag Pat Ruster
East Tawas, MI, USA   USA
I have had the threads pull out on an Etype block so I know it can happen. If you go to the trouble of pulling the head to fix the problem have them replace all of the head studs as they will stretch with age. The fix is fast and inexpensive with the exception of the time.

hugomiller Avatar
hugomiller Hugo Miller
Clermont, FL, USA   USA
I just thought of something - not wishing to sound patronising, (I can do that without trying!), how did you establish that it's the bottom of the stud or the bock that's gone? Did you put an open nut on there & see the stud turning?

hugomiller Avatar
hugomiller Hugo Miller
Clermont, FL, USA   USA
And I just thought of something else - if you replace any or all studs, don't forget to measure the height above the head of each stud, to make sure they don't bottom out in the nut, or you'll be back to square one (or else have a head gasket blow on you).

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Jaguar E Type 2 2

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links