AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Greetings folks.
My 56 Xk140 DHC has the standard brake drums and a vacuum booster.
Aside from a somewhat abrupt action when it first engages, no doubt due to them being 4 wheel drums, they have always worked well.
It has been sitting for a few months and this Christmas break I took it out and the brakes now seem to be 'sticking'.
I will apply them and they feel even more abrupt than before and once I release the pedal, they remain applied for a second or so, then they fully release.
Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, NL, Canada   CAN
Hi Joao,
Drum brakes have a lot of pivot points and springs. Perhaps each drum brake needs to be checked to see if everything is free to work as it should. The springs that pull the shoes back may have lost their strength. It may be possible that you are getting some residual pressure left in the system from the booster but i would think that the abruptness and the sticking is caused by the brake mechanism needing to be cleaned up and perhaps new springs.
David. Happy New Year!

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Thanks for the response.
I'm thinking it is either the master cylinder or the booster and vacuum hoses because it seems to affect all wheels. I tank if it was at the drum, wouldn't the car pull to one side, unless all 4 drums were equally affected?

I am thinking of disconnecting the booster and then seeing if the issue is still there. If not I have my answer if it still sticks then I'm leaning towards blaming the master cylinder.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, NL, Canada   CAN
Hi,
I would say that you are probably correct. It should easy to narrow down once you get at it all.
David

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1996 Jaguar XJS

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links