JagExp

The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

xke differential

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jeffery L Silver Member Jeffery Stifel
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
I'm restoring my 1968 2+2 with 46,000 miles on it. it hasn't been driven in 30 years. I'm rebuilding the irs and want to know if there's any reason for me to open the differential case and poke around with feeler gauges and dial indicators or can I assume its still within tolerances and leave it alone? Its not really something I'm afraid to do its just that I'd really not mess with it if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any input.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
If it spins smoothly I would leave it alone. It might leak so you have to replace seals or gaskets. I restored my 68 24 years ago and didn't do anything but top it off with oil.
Marv

DAWTRIJAG Avatar
DAWTRIJAG David Warr
St. George's, NL, Canada   CAN
Hi,
I agree, just change the seals.
David

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
boggie Avatar
boggie Art Lawrence
Worksop. Notts, UK   GBR
Hi Jeffrey,
I agree with the other guys that if it isn't noisy then don't strip it down. However, the differential housing has a vent tube on it, and after 30 years it is likely that dust has found its way inside, so I would recommend that as a minimum you drain the oil out and flush the inside ( you could do this with liberal amounts of a spray such as WD40) to remove any debris.
I would advise to remove the rear cover to do this, and replace the gasket.
Replacing the front seal is a must do item. After 30 years of inactivity it will have dried out and will definitely leak

Cheers,
boggie

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Jaguar XJ6 C

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links