The E-Type (XK-E) Forum

Water pump rebuild kit problems

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

M. Personne John T
Champagne, Dordogne, France   FRA
Hello everyone.

I am desperately trying to get to the point where I can attempt to start the engine of my series 2 E Type as discussed in various other postings on this subject, but have come up against yet another obstacle.

On filling with antifreeze I found that the water pump leaked quite badly, so I ordered a rebuild kit from a very well-known supplier here in the UK. As soon as it arrived I could see that there were differences so I took photos and contacted the supplier whose response was;

“Looking at the engine number this indicates you have an early water pump. I think you need another kit SBS7272 however these are currently on long term back-order with no ETA available at present”.

This seems odd as the car is a 1970 series 2 ex-USA 4.2 litre, unless someone in the past fitted an older type water pump.

The chassis number of my car is 1R13228 and the engine number 7R11941-9. I have tried to check this engine number on the internet but drew a blank, so I can’t check to see whether the chassis and engine numbers match. The pump body has C2 stamped on it but the rest was machined off in production. It also bears the number J4871.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I hope it works but I am going to attempt to attach photos showing quite clearly the differences.

Pic 4864 shows the difference in the impellers. You can see that the original has a much longer shaft for the pinion (about 9mm or 3/8” longer), though the diameters are the same at 77mm or 3”.
Pic 4865 shows the difference in the position of the bearing if the grub-screw location holes are lined up.
Pic 4866 shows the position of the grub-screw locator if the bearings are lined up. Oh, and the new pinion is about 3mm shorter than the original!

At the moment it seems to me that I will have to have to use the old pinion with the new seals and the old impeller, which means that I will have paid a lot (£65 with postage) just for the seals, and the new impeller and pinion/bearing will be redundant! If I use the new impeller it will not reach the seal to compress it!

Any ideas/comments much appreciated.

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4864.JPG    37.1 KB
IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG    22.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4866.JPG    21.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The E"
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
Yes... the water pumps of an S2. I have no idea what the differences are, I fitted a late (complete) pump to my early engine recently without ever realising there were differences.

Can't you assemble the thing and see if it fits?

Cheers, Andrys

M. Personne John T
Thanks for replying, Andrys.

I am having the impeller pressed off the original pinion as I suspect that I am going to have to use them both but with the new seals. To attempt a trial fit would mean having the new impeller pressed on to the new pinion, but I don't see the point as the body of the new impeller is 9mm shorter than the original so I can't see how it will compress the seal.

However I'll know for sure when I get the pinion and impeller back.

What might help would be if someone with a late series 2 (1969-1971) could have a look at their water pump body and see whether it bears the same J487I.

Thanks again,

John

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
M. Personne John T
Well the bad news is that the machine-shop broke the original impeller in trying to remove it and all I can get from SNGB is that it must be an older water pump, which seems wrong as it had a 3" impeller with 6 vanes, and the older ones had smaller impellers with only 4 vanes. On their web site the kit I ordered says that it is suitable for the 4.2 series 2, but they advertise another kit which also says that it is suitable for a 4.2 series 2. How was I to know that there was any difference!!!

I have scoured the internet but cannot find anyone selling the impeller I need, so it looks as though I will have to buy a new water pump complete. Am not a happy bunny.

John

Andrys Posthuma Avatar
Delft, Z-H, Netherlands   NLD
1935 MG N-Type Magnette
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The E"
1976 MG MGB GT "The B"
sorry to learn this John. Oh well, another water pump isn't the end of the world, providing they're available.

SNG has a French branch, why don't you give them a call?

Cheers, Andrys

M. Personne John T
Hi again, Andrys.

I usually use SNGB France if they have the part in stock, but in this instance I bought the kit from the UK. As they have agreed that I can return the kit for a refund I had to buy the new pump from them and it should arrive within the next few days.

Then onwards and upwards! Until the next obstacle ......

John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Jaguar E Type Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links